Do you want to make a healthy Christmas gift that looks great?
This festive jar full of healthy snacks is a great gift idea that you can make.
What you’ll need:
- A clean jar and lid
- Rust-Oleum Gitter Spray Paint and Sealer (available from Bunnings)
- Sticky notes (available from stationery stores)
- Disposable gloves
- Newspaper, drop cloths, masking tape or similar to protect your surroundings
- Bottle (or similar) to prop lid on during spraying
- Blu Tack to hold the lid onto the bottle
- Dried cranberries
- Coconut chips
How to make the glitter lid:
- Stick the top of the bottle to the underside of the lid using the blu tack.
- Protect the area where you are going to be spraying using newspaper, drop cloths or something similar.
- Shake the glitter spray can as per the instructions on the can.
- Put the gloves on.
- Test the spray can is working by spraying onto a test area.
- Holding the spray can upright and at least 30cm from the lid, spray a thin layer of glitter using continuous, gentle movements. Rotate the bottle to spray the other side of the lid.
- Allow the coat of glitter to dry for approximately 2 minutes.
- Apply another coat of glitter as per step 6 and 7.
- Repeat steps 5, 6, 7 and 8 until you are happy with the coverage of the glitter.
- Do 2 coats of sealer by repeating steps 5, 6, 7 and 8.
- Leave the lid to dry for at least 24 hours.
Why not make some glitter gift tags to go with your sparkly jar?
How to fill the jar:
- Make an even layer of almonds in the bottom quarter of the jar.
- Place the dried cranberries on top of the almonds. Make an even layer that half fills the jar.
- Place the coconut chips on top of the dried cranberries in an even layer that 3/4 fills the jar.
- Fill the rest of the jar with the pepitas.
- Put the lid on top of the jar and secure tightly.
- Wrap twine around the jar (under the lid), tie in a knot and trim the ends. I used 3 different types of twine, 2 natural and 1 red.
- Give your gift to someone special!
- Before you start spraying watch this YouTube video by Rust-Oleum on how to use the glitter spray paint.
- Have something that you can experiment on first.
- Before starting read and understand the instructions on the can.
- Before you start this project come up with a “glitter spraying plan of attack”. Glitter is renowned for going everywhere and this spray is no different – it’s all part of the fun! Here are a few things to consider:
- You need a well ventilated position.
- Do the spraying and leave the lid to dry in an area that can’t be accidentally disturbed by small children or pets.
- Wear clothing that will benefit from some glitter spray (this is not the time to be wearing your favourite outfit).
- Consider constructing a “spray booth”. I used chairs to support cardboard boxes and then stuck newspaper to them using masking tape.
Have fun creating!
I’d love to see what you create – either share it on the Homelea Lass Facebook page or tag @homelealass and #happycreating on Instagram.
Disclosure – I was provided with glitter spray paint and sealer by Rust-Oleum. The opinions and creative processes within this post are my own.