Calm Chevron Blanket Crochet Kit
Create a stylish version of this classic crocheted blanket.
Complimentary ball winding is available - select this at the checkout.
Customise your kit below:
Made with soft organic cotton, this soothing pattern is a joy to make. The rhythmic up and down pattern of the stitches feels calming to make, while the bands of colour provide the motivation to keep going. It drapes beautifully and the textural stitches create a stylish version of this classic style of crocheted blanket.
The pattern gives the option of making it with up to 5 different colours. The main colour, Colour A, is the colour of the first and last bands and then alternates with the bands of other colours within the blanket. The blanket is designed so that the colour joins are crisp, with the first row of the new colour partly hidden behind the previous row.
The rows are broken down into repeats which makes this blanket easy to make. Instead of counting stitches for the entire row, we focus on doing 1 repeat at a time. This blanket is ideal for mastering crocheted increases and decreases and introduces you to crocheting through the back loop.
I’ve added in the option to straighten the edges by crocheting the triangles on the ends, and the yarn quantities include these extra triangles and the practice quantity.
There are 3 different sizes (from baby up to lounge) and there’s a colour combination that you’ll love.
crochet kit with everything you need
- crochet pattern and online course (includes a printable ebook, plus right and left handed video tutorials)
- Organic Cotton yarn by Laines du Nord – the tables in the images give the number of 100g skeins of Organic Cotton that you’ll need, or the length of a yarn that’s about a 5ply or sport weight yarn for both the 3 colour and 5 colour blankets.
- 4mm (G) crochet hook with rounded metal head
- stitch markers (you’ll need 8 for the baby snuggles size, 15 for the little snuggles size and 22 for the lounge snuggles size)
- tape measure
- darning needle
Want more than 5 yarn colours? Set the quantities for colours 1 to 4 as your first 4 colours, and then combine the quantities for the other colours in colour 5. Then let me know in the order notes (at the checkout) the actual colours and quantities included in colour 5.
skill level – easy
The Calm Chevron Blanket uses simple stitch patterns and I recommend making it after the Warm Heart Blanket, Bliss Blanket or Midnight Garden Blanket.
The crochet pattern and online course includes a printable ebook and detailed video tutorials for both right and left handed people. You can access it any time from your Homelea Lass account or order email.
This is what you’ll learn while making the Calm Chevron Blanket:
- how to wind a skein into a ball
- double crochet through the back loop only (UK terminology) / single crochet through the back loop only (US terminology)
- how to count rows
- changing colours at the start of the row
- changing to a new ball of yarn in the middle of a row
- how to fasten off and weave in ends
- how to check your tension
- how to steam block your blanket
It helps to know how to do these stitches and techniques before starting the Calm Chevron Blanket:
- have done some crocheting before
- slip knot
- double crochet (UK terminology) / single crochet (US terminology)
- counting stitches
The Calm Chevron Blanket pattern has 3 different sizes:
made in Australia
I make all of the Homelea Lass kits by hand in the Homelea Lass studio. It’s located on a remote cattle property near Quilpie in south west Queensland, Australia. I use Australian made components whenever possible.
about the yarn
Organic Cotton by Laines du Nord is a premium cotton yarn made with organic cotton in Italy. It is Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) certified by The Institute for Ethical and Environmental Certification. Laines du Nord are renowned for creating quality yarns in an ethical and sustainable matter.
This yarn feels soft and creates a fluid and drapey fabric. Cotton is a cool and hard-wearing fibre.
Each skein is 100g (3.5oz) and is 340m (371yds) long. It’s sized as a 5ply / sport weight yarn, but personally it feels more like an 8ply / DK weight yarn to me.
This yarn is machine washable at 30 degrees.
Just a note: like most cotton yarns, Organic Cotton can split when you’re crocheting with it. I’ve selected the shape and size of the crochet hook to reduce this, and it only does this occasionally for me (I just fix it up as I do the stitch). This is a minor inconvenience for using an organic cotton yarn that creates a blanket that feels soft and drapes beautifully.
I know you’re going to love crocheting your Calm Chevron Blanket!
With love, Lynda.