Calm Chevron Blanket Crochet Pattern & Online Course
Includes left and right handed video tutorials, plus a printable pattern.
Made with soft organic cotton, this soothing pattern is a joy to make. The rhythmic up and down pattern of the stitches feels calming, while the bands of colour provide the motivation to keep going. It drapes beautifully and the textural stitches create a stylish version of this classic style of crocheted blanket.
The zigzag of the rows is formed by making increases and decreases. The double crochet stitches (UK terminology) / single crochet stitches (US terminology) are crocheted through the back loop of the stitch below. The stitches on the edges of the blanket are worked through both loops to give the blanket structure and strength.
This crochet pattern and online course includes a printable ebook and detailed video tutorials for both right and left handed people. You can access it any time from your Homelea Lass account or order email.
The Calm Chevron Blanket pattern has 3 different sizes:
skill level – easy
This is what you’ll learn while making the Calm Chevron Blanket:
- how to wind a skein into a ball
- double crochet through the back loop only (UK terminology) / single crochet through the back loop only (US terminology)
- how to count rows
- changing colours at the start of the row
- changing to a new ball of yarn in the middle of a row
- how to fasten off and weave in ends
- how to check your tension
- how to steam block your blanket
It helps to know how to do these stitches and techniques before starting the Calm Chevron Blanket:
- have done some crocheting before
- slip knot
- double crochet (UK terminology) / single crochet (US terminology)
- counting stitches
what you need
- Organic Cotton yarn by Laines du Nord – the tables below give the number of 100g skeins of Organic Cotton that you’ll need, or the length of a yarn that’s about a 5ply or sport weight yarn for both the 3 colour and 5 colour blankets.
- 4mm (G) crochet hook with rounded metal head
- stitch markers
- tape measure
- darning needle
- iron (or steamer) and towel for steam blocking
- yarn swift and ball winder for winding skeins into balls (optional)
about the yarn
Organic Cotton by Laines du Nord is a premium cotton yarn made with organic cotton in Italy. It is Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) certified by The Institute for Ethical and Environmental Certification. Laines du Nord are renowned for creating quality yarns in an ethical and sustainable matter.
This yarn feels soft and creates a fluid and drapey fabric. Cotton is a cool and hard-wearing fibre.
Each skein is 100g (3.5iz) and is 340m (371yds) long. It’s sized as a 5ply / sport weight yarn, but personally it feels more like an 8ply / DK weight yarn to me.
Just a note: like most cotton yarns, Organic Cotton can split when you’re crocheting with it. I’ve selected the shape and size of the crochet hook to reduce this, and it only does this occasionally for me (I just fix it up as I do the stitch). This is a minor inconvenience for using an organic cotton yarn that creates a blanket that feels soft and drapes beautifully.
I know you’re going to love crocheting your Calm Chevron Blanket!
With love, Lynda.